- Air fryer grilled cheese …a delicious quick snack
- How to make air fryer grilled cheese
- This is how I made my air fryer grilled cheese sandwich
- What else can I use to spice up my air
fryer grilled cheese sandwich?
- What should I serve with my grilled cheese?
- Do I need to preheat my air fryer?
- What temperature should I cook at for my grilled cheese in air fryer?
- Grilled cheese in air fryer oven …is it different to a normal air fryer?
- Does the bread thickness make a difference?
- What kind of cheese should I use?
- Can I use meat?
- What if it does not brown properly?
- What if the inside is not cooked properly?
- Do I need to put it in the air fryer basket?
- What it the bread comes out tough?
- Do I need to use butter or oil to make grilled cheese sandwich in the air fryer?
- My bread will not stay in place in the air fryer?
- Since you are here…can I ask a favor?
- You may be interested in reading the following
Air fryer grilled cheese …a delicious quick snack
Air fryer grilled cheese …is it possible? You bet it is…and you know what…it is amazing. Whatever method you currently use to make grilled cheese, you will be setting it aside for the grilled cheese in air fryer method that I will show you.
Trust me when I say that the results are amazing. Perfectly crunchy bread with delicious centers. It was always how grilled cheese was intended.
In the past, i made grilled cheese like everybody else did…in a skillet. Just like everybody else, both sides of the bread were covered in butter. The final results were tasty as you would expect but they were inconsistent. This is where the air fryer really wins…consistent results.
The secret of air fryer grilled cheese it is in its simplicity. Even the most basic cooks can get this right 100% of the time. So, lets get onto how to make grilled cheese in air fryer.
How to make air fryer grilled cheese
This is the method I use to make air fryer grilled cheese, which does not use butter;
- Preheat air fryer to 350F
- Put the cheese inside the bread and put in air fryer
- Put some cocktail sticks through them to keep their shape
- Spray the top with spray oil, flip over and spray the other side
- Cook for 4 mins or until one side is golden brown
- Flip over to cook other side for 3 mins
There you have it, you should have a perfectly golden grilled cheese, the bread should be crispy while the cheese is perfectly gooey on the inside.
…I want to use butter!
You will have noted that I sprayed the bread with cooking oil, this helps it brown nicely. The traditional method is to use butter.
I have to admit that the butter method produces tastier results but I have to be a little conscious of calories.
If you do want to use butter, simply butter the bread instead of spraying oil on it. The cooking times should remain the same.
This is how I made my air fryer grilled cheese sandwich
What else can I use to spice up my air fryer grilled cheese sandwich?
As they say, I have shown you the bread and butter method! Simple bread and cheese…but you can spice things up a little to deliver a tastier treat. You should consider adding the following items to really take your grilled cheese to the next level;
- Herbs – Basil, Oregano, Cilantro
Grilled cheese in air fryer – Frequently asked questions
What should I serve with my grilled cheese?
I normally serve my air fryer grilled cheese with a simple salad and dressing. However, I know my husband will throw some French fries in first and add in the sandwich half way through. That way, they end up finishing cooking at the same time.
Do I need to preheat my air fryer?
You don’t need to preheat your air fryer but the results are better when you do. Think of it like preheating a conventional oven. It really does make a difference and the cooking time is lower too.
What temperature should I cook at for my grilled cheese in air fryer?
I recommend 350F but you can go up to 370F.
Grilled cheese in air fryer oven …is it different to a normal air fryer?
They are exactly the same so use the same technique. The only difference is that with an oven , you can make a few at the same time because of capacity differences.
Does the bread thickness make a difference?
It really is a personal preference. Some people prefer using thinner bread for a crispier finish. Other like to use thicker bread for a softer texture. If you do slice your own bread, try experimenting as the finish might just surprise you.
What kind of cheese should I use?
I know most of you will use American slices but you can use a variety of cheese. There is literally no limit to what you can use. I know in the UK for example, they use mature cheddar cheese as standard…something I would recommend. However, try any of the following; Gruyere, Swiss, Cheddar, Mozzarella or Feta
Can I use meat?
Yes, you can, but you need to ensure that it is fully heated through.
What if it does not brown properly?
It may be that you have forgotten to put any oil , margarine or butter on it. If that is not the case, you may need to cook it a little longer in your air fryer.
What if the inside is not cooked properly?
As long as there is no meat inside it, it is safe to eat. However, put it back in the air fryer a little longer to finish it off. This normally happens if you use really thick bread with a lot of filling. If you follow my grilled cheese air fryer method, this should not happen.
Do I need to put it in the air fryer basket?
It is better to use the basket as the air circulates freely. If you don’t use the basket, you may need to cook the grilled cheese in the air fryer longer.
What it the bread comes out tough?
This may be because the temperature may be too high or some issue with the bread before it goes in.
Do I need to use butter or oil to make grilled cheese sandwich in the air fryer?
You don’t have to use anything but the texture and taste is better if you use either butter or oil.
My bread will not stay in place in the air fryer?
Air fryers work by circulating the air at high speed. Therefore, if your bread is not secured, it may fall off the sandwich. I therefore recommend that you put a cocktail stick through it to keep it in place. For safety purposes, make sure that you don’t put it all the way through and that it can easily be seen.
Since you are here…can I ask a favor?
It would be really nice if you could share this article and image on your social media.
It’s just a couple of clicks for you but it means the world to me.
Thank you so much…Jayne x
You may be interested in reading the following
- How to Cook Perfect Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
- Air Fryer Tofu …This Is How It’s Done
- Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs …How To Do It Right
- Air Fryer Meatloaf …That’s Amazing!
- How To Cook Perfect Frozen Chicken Strips In Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges …That Everybody Will Love
- How To Make Air Fryer Hash Browns… The Best Way!
- Air Fryer Tater Tots… are Simply the Best!
- How To Cook a Frozen Hamburger in an Air Fryer… Ultimate Guide
- Frozen Pizza In Air Fryer… The Right Way
- Frozen Fish in Air Fryer …a Delight Awaits