If you have never tried making air fryer meatloaf …let me open your eyes for you. It is amazing! Juicy, tender and full of flavor. You cannot be disappointed.
As you might have guessed, I am a huge fan of the air fryer. It really changed things for me. As you might guess, this website was started as a tribute to the Dutch oven. The humble Dutch oven will always have a special place in my heart but things needed to change.
I had taken on more in terms of work, so spending hours waiting on a meal was not an option. Step forward the air fryer…it’s been amazing. I am cooking foods I would never have thought to in a fryer.
One thing is for sure, we have a high standard of food in this household, the air fryer has not disappointed…and meatloaf in air fryer has definitely not disappointed.
In this post… meatloaf in air fryer
This post will deliver you an air fryer meatloaf that is out of this world. It is simple to make and to make it this way will save you plenty of time to. Once you taste this, your meatloaf in air fryer will be the only way you make this.
It really is that good.
How to make meatloaf in an air fryer
Air fryer meatloaf recipe
The great thing about air fryer meatloaf is that it allows you to reduce the overall cooking time by at least half. This is great if you want to make it after work.
This recipe is really simple and you don’t need to be an expert cook to make it. Simply follow this process and you will have piping hot air fryer meatloaf in no time at all.
- 500 grams ground beef
- 1 egg – Large
- 3 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- 50 grams finely chopped chorizo
- 1 small onion – chopped finely
- 1 tbs fresh thyme
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 mushrooms
- Line the basket with parchment paper or foil making sure you put some holes into it. This makes it easier to remove later.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 F
- Mix all the ingredients into a bowl and whisk together. Add this to the ground beef and mix well without over mixing. Add mushrooms on top and coat with olive oil.
- Transfer the meatloaf into the air fryer basket
- Cook for 25 minutes
- Check it is thoroughly cooked
Quick tip: Make sure the internal heat is at least 165 F to ensure it is cooked through.
Air fryer mini meatloaf meatballs
For pure convenience, air fryer meatloaf meatballs are hard to beat. I find that this is the best method if you want to cook ahead of freezing them. This way, you simply have to reheat the number of meatloaf meatballs that you need.
It is also a question of space too. Since air fryers come in various sizes, it makes sense to make your meatloaf in easy to use sizes. Since they don’t take long to cook anyway, you can cook them in batches.
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients and follow this easy method. I have attached some pictures to guide you too…but it really is a simple method. There should be enough here for 12 meatballs.
- 1lb Ground beef
- 1 onion – diced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Put all the ingredients into a bowl (aside from the beef), and mix them thoroughly. The egg and the breadcrumbs will help bind the meatballs.
- Fold the ingredients into the ground beef. Make sure it is mixed thoroughly without overdoing it, overdoing it means it will end up with a paste like texture.
- Time to make the meatballs. The ideal size is three tablespoons of meat per meatball. Take it out and roll into a ball using the palms of your hand.
- Preheat your air fryer to 390 F
- Place as many meatballs as you can fit or want into the basket
- Cook for 14 minutes
- Use a meat thermometer to check they are cooked
Quick tip: When handling raw beef, I recommend that you use gloves because of the bacteria that lives in the beef.
Tips to make great meatloaf
When cooked, they are at an internal heat of 165 F.
Consider using fattier beef mince as the taste is better. You should also consider adding pork mince too and the combination makes for a better flavor. For the health conscious among us, use ground meat.
If you are using onions in your recipe, consider cooking the onions first. This is because your air fryer will never cook the onions through thoroughly. Better to cook them first so they taste better later.
You should also consider adding more vegetables. This reduces the thickness and density of the meat which makes it nicer to eat. Healthier too.
Instead of using eggs as the binder, consider using a yoghurt bind.
Mince meat can get pretty plain. You should therefore consider spicing it more than you would normally.
Consider the glazing the finished meatloaf. Have you tried using tomato ketchup as the glaze? It delivers tangy goodness that is very addictive!
Do I need to increase cooking time if I use more meat?
Of course, it is recommended that the first pound of meat, you need to cook for 25 – 30 minutes. For the next pound, you need to cook for at least 40 minutes. This is where a meat thermometer comes in handy. You can check it is cooked by the temperature it is at.
Are all air fryers the same in terms of cooking performance?
No, almost all air fryers differ slightly. Whether that is in performance or efficiency. I always recommend that you get to know your air fryer as it means you know how to adjust the recipe to get the perfect finish to your meatloaf.
Do I need to put the meatloaf in a pan before I air fry it?
No, I always find that it is better in the air fryer without a pan. The reason is that the meat tends to boil in its own juices in a pan. This is not a great result whereas the air fryer cooks it better and more evenly.
How long to cook meatloaf in air fryer?
You need to cook at least 25 minutes per pound or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 F.
Hopefully you are better placed to make fantastic air fryer meatloaf. If you are unsure about what method to choose, I suggest that you try both. The flavor and tenderness will be slightly different, you will know what suits you best. The first method takes less time, whilst the second method delivers more convenient meatloaf …perfect for parties or simple snacks.
Why not experiment with seasonings to see what gives you the best results? If there is one dish that you need to season heavily, the humble meatloaf is it.
Let me know what you think…is there anything you do that makes your air fryer meatloaf different? How do you cook the meatloaf in air fryer? What is your favoured seasoning?
Share your tips with us…leave a comment below.
See you soon…Jayne x
Since you are here…can I ask you a favor?
It would be really nice if you could share this image on social media…it’s just a couple of clicks for you but it means the world to me.
Thank you so much…
You might be interested in reading the following…
- How to Cook Perfect Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
- How To Cook Perfect Frozen Chicken Strips In Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges …That Everybody Will Love
- How To Make Air Fryer Hash Browns… The Best Way!
- Air Fryer Tater Tots… are Simply the Best!
- How To Cook a Frozen Hamburger in an Air Fryer… Ultimate Guide
- Frozen Pizza In Air Fryer… The Right Way
- Frozen Fish in Air Fryer …a Delight Awaits
- Frozen Corn Dogs in Air Fryer… A Real Treat
- Air Fryer Scallops …You Won’t Believe How Good They Are!
- Air Fryer Corn on the Cob …Made to Perfection
Watch video here