Air fryer okra is almost like a secret…so few people know about it let alone ask me about. It’s about time air fryer okra was brought into the mainstream. Why? …it’s absolutely delicious.
For those of you new to okra, it is actually quite popular in the south. Often referred to as ‘ladies’ fingers’, they are done so because of their appearance and similarity to fingers.
Why have they never really found favor with the people? Slime! If they are not prepared or cooked properly, they release a slime that many people simply do not like. I will deal with this issue later as there are ways to limit and prevent it.
One thing is for sure, it is very much under appreciated. It has excellent properties that are really beneficial to your health. It has excellent vitamin C content, as well as fiber, potassium, magnesium and folate.
In terms of taste, I think they taste great. They have a mild taste that is very similar to aubergines…or eggplant if you prefer. Combine them with an acidic food like tomatoes and they are perfectly balanced.
Can you cook frozen fried okra in an air fryer?
Using frozen okra actually has some benefits. There is less slime created when it is cut which gives a better end result. Whether your okra is fresh or frozen, you can cook them both in your air fryer.
How to cook fried okra in air fryer
Cooking air fryer okra is simple. Follow this method for delicious results;
- Cut your okra into ½ inch pieces and mix with 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Place into air fryer basket and cook in preheated air fryer at 360 F
- Cook for 8 minutes
- Remove basket and add seasoning of your choice.
- Place back in air fryer for a further 6 minutes.
Your air fryer okra should now be perfectly cooked.
Tips when cooking fried okra in air fryer
- Don’t wash okra until you are ready to use it. Water makes the slime worse in okra so be mindful on how you prepare it
- You should let the okra sit at room temperature before it is used
- The level of slime in okra can depend entirely on how you cut it. If you cut them thinly, you are exposing more surface area…which means more slime. Limit the number of cuts and don’t forget that you can cook them whole. If you do, buy smaller ones
- You can use frozen okra in air fryer. If you are not using frozen okra, consider freezing it before you cut it. It will result in less slime
- Another trick to reduce slime is to soak it in vinegar for at least half an hour before you cook it
- Cooking your okra at a higher heat can reduce the slime
- Ensure your okra is completely dry before cooking it. Pat it dry if you need too
- Adding lemon or lime juice while cooking your air fryer okra will also help reduce the slime
- Okra is perfect if you like spices…don’t hold back, okra tastes great with heavy spices
Reasons why you should eat air fryer okra
It really helps if you are at risk of diabetes or already have it
Okra can help with diabetes or help prevent this disease. According to some studies, okra seeds can assist lower blood sugar levels. The fiber also found in okra can also help as a high fiber diet improves insulin sensitivity and glycaemic control.
Liver disease risks lowered
There is ongoing research which suggests that okra can help with liver disease. It is also noted that okra extracts can reduce the effects of free radicals which can cause liver disease.
You can increase glycogen in the liver by eating air fryer okra as okra contains antioxidant flavonoids and polyphenols. Eating okra results in increases of glycogen which will prevent fatigue and keep you energetic.
Improves your eyesight
Nutrients are found in okra which are known to improve eyesight. Okra contains vitamin A and beta-carotene.
Okra contains anti-oxidants that fight against free radicals in the body. Okra also contains vitamin A and C which is important to building the immunity in your body.
Lowering of cholesterol levels
Okra contains anti-oxidants and high levels of fiber that will help you to reduce cholesterol levels.
Keeps you fuller for longer
The high fiber content in air fryer okra keeps you fuller for longer which means that you can reduce your calorie intake.
Calcium is important for bone health, regulating blood pressure and cholesterol levels, as well as improving the overall health of your heart. Okra delivers you calcium at 51mg per portion. Your body needs 1000mg per day but it is an important source of calcium, especially to non-meat eaters.
Can you use frozen okra in air fryer?
Yes, using frozen okra is much simpler as often it is pre-cut. It also means less slime to deal with. The end results are no different. Frozen fried okra in air fryer is just as delicious.
What about frozen breaded okra in air fryer?
You can cook frozen breaded okra in air fryer in your air fryer. Follow the manufacturers recommendations if it is pre bought.
If you have been hesitant to give okra a go, think again. With the right preparation and cooking, they negate all the things you may have heard and actually taste really nice.
Not only is it delicious, they have a ton of health benefits associated with them. So, if you want to eat healthy and are working towards a balanced diet, I wholly recommend that you give air fryer okra a chance.
Let me know what you think. There are plenty of ways to cook okra in air fryer and you can add many different spices that deliver a whole new taste. What is your favorite recipe? Is there a special one you want to share with the readers here?
Share your tips with us…leave a comment below…I respond to them all.
See you soon…Jayne x
Since you are here…can I ask you a favor?
It would be really nice if you could share this image on social media…it’s just a couple of clicks for you but it means the world to me.
Thank you so much…
You may be interested in reading the following
- How to Cook Perfect Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
- Air Fryer Tofu …This Is How It’s Done
- Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs …How To Do It Right
- Air Fryer Meatloaf …That’s Amazing!
- How To Cook Perfect Frozen Chicken Strips In Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges …That Everybody Will Love
- How To Make Air Fryer Hash Browns… The Best Way!
- Air Fryer Tater Tots… are Simply the Best!
- How To Cook a Frozen Hamburger in an Air Fryer… Ultimate Guide
- Frozen Pizza In Air Fryer… The Right Way
- Frozen Fish in Air Fryer …a Delight Awaits